07/24/2019 Fertility treatments are broadly categorised into 3 types: -
1) Ovulation induction with timed intercourse (OI + TIC) - medicines are given to grow the egg and intercourse is timed based on ultrasound evaluation.
Success rates vary between 5-20%, which further depend on
· Menstrual regularity
· Number of eggs released
· fallopian tube status
· endometrial thickness
· treatment protocol
· presence of any medical conditions
· Sperm count, motility etc
2) Intrauterine insemination (IUI)- After ovulation induction and ultrasound follicular monitoring, partner’s sperms are washed to remove dead & non-motile sperms. The most potent sperms are then placed in female partner’s womb with a small catheter.
Success rates vary between 10-30%.
In addition to the factors mentioned in OI+TIC, success depends on
· Sperm washing technique and the media used
· Technique of IUI
· Time gap between preparation and insemination of prepared sample.
· Use of self/donor sperms
3) In-vitro fertilisation (IVF, test tube baby procedure) – it is a process where egg and sperm are fertilised outside the body in an artificial environment. From day 2 of menstrual cycle hormonal injections are given for 8-10 days after which eggs are collected under ultrasound guidance for fertilisation. Well fertilised and good quality embryos are then selected and transferred back to the womb.
Success rates vary between 30-60% which further depends on
· Age & ovarian reserve of female partner
· Stimulation protocol
· Quality of the drugs
· Clinician’s & embryologist’s expertise
· Embryology laboratory conditions
· Presence of fibroids, polyps, hydrosalpinx
· Use of testicular sperm
· Use of third-party reproduction like donor eggs, donor sperms, donor embryos.
· Use of advanced treatments like PGS/ERA
· Frozen vs fresh embryo transfer
· Sperm DNA fragmentation index etc.
Hence, it is very important that the treatment protocol should be designed depending on the couple’s profile rather than just a blanket therapy.
Hegde Fertility Center offers the most advanced and efficient infertility treatments with the primary goal of being a center par excellence that is focused on bringing avant-garde facilities, state-of-the-art labs, highly trained experts, and a dedicated caring staff for fulfilling a couple's desire…